Coity Church has
a central tower, with six really nice easy going bells.
There are also clock and sanctus
Details of the ringing
|| Dia (in)
|| Dia (cm)
|| Wt cwt
|| Wt kg
WILLIAM EVANS" (Between
all men, peace)
(Among brothers, charity/love)
|| ERGA DEUM
(Towards God, piety)
(In the Church, episcopacy)
|| IN HOC
REGNO MONARCHA "JOHN LEYSHON,
(In this kingdom, monarchy)
|| GLORIA DEO IN EXCELSIS
(Glory to God in the highest)
It is not known when bells were first installed in the tower. In 1722
there were four bells recorded. These were taken down and repaired in
that year. One more bell was added the following year, 1723. The bells
were originally rung from the ground floor at the crossing, from behind
the then choir screen.
In 1726 the five bells were taken down and recast into a six by Evan
and William Evans, Bell Founders of Chepstow, the only ring of six cast
by them. This must have been costly, for sometime later the firm from
Chepstow threatened to sue the Rector for non-payment of their bill.
On each bell is a quotation in Latin, on the treble is the name of the
founders and on the 5th is name of the churchwarden of that time, John
Leyshon. The bells were idle, like so many, during the second world
war. In 1952 the bells were refurbished by Gillet and Johnson of
Croydon and rehung in a steel frame, less their cannons and cast-in
staple. The tower was re-roofed at the same time. They were refurbished
again in 1999 by Nicholson Engineering.
Coity people have always been interested in their bells. There are
quite a number of references in old parish records to repairs of ropes,
wheels, the annual pint of oil, and liming interior tower walls
together with the claims for the cost! For "ale and our trouble".
On 27th May 2001, a clock bell was installed, this was to protect the
ringing bells from possible clock hammer damage. It was the old 6th at
St. Peter-ad-Vincula, Coggleshall, Essex, which had become available as
a result of their augmentation to a ten. This bell weighs 9 cwt, 1
quarter and 13 pounds (476.8 kg) and has a rim diameter of 38¼
ins (97.2 cm) and a note of G# . It was cast by Thomas Gardiner of
Sudbury and bears the inscriptions:
"William Moss Churchwarden" & "Tho=Gardiner Fecit 1757".
The cannons and cast-in staple were removed, and it was hung dead above
the bell frame and is used as the clock's hour bell.